1 Mar 2024

Tyre Stewardship Fee - All You Need To Know


Tyrewise is New Zealand's first regulated product stewardship scheme for recycling used tyres. From 1 March 2024, a fee will come into effect which is set to replace current ad hoc disposal charges for tyres. This fee is known as the "tyre stewardship fee", and will be charged on all vehicles that are being registered for the first time. 

Why Tyrewise?

Around 40% of the 6.5 million tyres used around New Zealand are recycled, repurposed, or reused. The remaining 60% end up stockpiled, dumped or in landfills. Tyrewise's goal is to work with businesses and communities across New Zealand to help prevent end-of-life tyres ending up in landfills or the environment. Instead, they will be repurposed as valuable resources, generating economic and social benefits within a circular economy.

To find out more about the stewardship fee and Tyrewise's efforts, visit their website here.


How much is the fee? 

The fee will vary depending on the size of your vehicle. A standard passenger vehicle will be charged a fee of $38.24. Larger vehicles, including vans and utes, will incur a fee of $76.47 each.  

For a full breakdown on the fee structure, please visit NZTA's website here

What does the fee mean for leasing? 

When leasing a new vehicle with FleetPartners, the tyre stewardship fee will be automatically included in your lease payment as part of the vehicle's on-road costs.